Notes on adding accelerated OpenGL support to Cygwin/X

I assume that a lot of users and potential users are interested in accelerated OpenGL support. Adding this isn't particularly hard, since we simply pass off OpenGL calls to the Win32 OpenGL system and because the Xdarwin (a.k.a. X on X, a.k.a. Apple) have already done a very similar system for their platform.

I am interested in adding this support as well, but I think it would be nice if some users and/or developers out there would help get this started by creating some of the boilerplate files for me and ensuring that these initial files compile correctly (although they will not do anything and might not link correctly).

I have put together a one page set of notes on the files that we need to adapt to our platform and the minor changes to the build system that we need to make to get those files to build:

http://msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/CygwinX-Accelerated-OpenGL-Support-20040128.pdf (44 KiB)

These notes apply to the CYGWIN tag on the xorg repository that lives at freedesktop.org. See the XWin Server development page for information on how to check out a tree:

http://x.cygwin.com/devel/server/

I encourage everyone to take a shot at this. Most of the tasks marked as "Boilerplate", "Trivial", and "Easy" could be done by someone with no real knowledge of programming at all. Now is your chance to jump in and start building your knowledge of programming.