Re: XDMCP howto for cygwin? (or other remote-desktop solution)

Thomas,

First off, I'd like to confirm that WSAD *does* run in Gnome remotely via
XDMCP (Linux->Windows).  Haven't tried with KDE, but I don't see any
reason why it wouldn't work remotely if it works locally.  More below.

Did you chance upon <http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html>?

> Willem Riede <wrcygwin@riede.org> 01/30/2004 10:11:59 PM:
> > It's very straightforward. Assuming you have cygwin and xfree
> > installed on a windows box, you edit
> > C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxdmcp.bat to have your windows box IP
> > number in DISPLAY and the Linux box IP number in REMOTE_HOST.
>
> OK. BTW, does this mean that this won't work if either is on DHCP?
> (Fortunately, for my specific case both have static IP.)

Umm, it works with DHCP, but there's a catch: the forward and reverse DNS
lookups for your Windows box have to match (IOW, if your machine is named,
e.g., 'cookie.raleigh.ibm.com', the reverse DNS lookup of the IP from the
Linux machine also has to return 'cookie.raleigh.ibm.com', otherwise XDMCP
won't work).  You can see these mismatches show up in /var/log/messages.
Of course, it does help to be root or sudo for this...

Oh, and from your statement above, you must be entering the actual IP of
the Windows box.  No need -- just use "127.0.0.1" (or even "localhost").
REMOTE_HOST can also be the FQDN of the Linux machine, rather than IP.  If
you have more than one network interface (e.g., wireless and ethernet),
you may need the "-from" parameter, too.

> OK, so all I need on the client ... err, server ... err, cygwin side
> is just to edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startxdmcp.bat: done. Then I gotta
> setup <G|K|X>DM on the ... non-cygwin side:

FWIW, you don't even have to use startxdmcp.bat -- I use a standalone
command, like this (I have another X server running on :0.0, hence ":1.0"
for display, and some other options you probably won't need as they are
specific to my configuration):

XWin.exe :1.0 -unixkill -scrollbars -screen 0 1280 1024 -emulate3buttons -once -query <mylinuxmachine>.watson.ibm.com &

> > Also make sure /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf contains
>
> > [xdmcp]
> > Enable=true
>
> except the box I'm targeting currently only has KDE, so it's
> /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, and I just need to comment out
>
> !DisplayManager.requestPort:    0
>
> Correct? (But first, I need root to `su` :-)

You can probably get temporary "sudo" access for the commands you need to
run -- the sysadmins are more likely to give that out than full root
access.

> > GDM has to run on linux, so you need init to go to level 5.
>
> OK. Is there anything else that needs done for KDE?
>
> > Then you can run startxdmcp.bat (I have a shortcut for it on my W2K
> > desktop) to get the login screen for your linux box. Once logged in
> > you get the full Gnome desktop (or KDE if that's your preference).
>
> Sounds easy! Just gotta get access.

Hope this works.  If you want to troubleshoot this interactively, feel
free to Sametime me (my internal ID is in Bluepages).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu