Re: map mouse button 4 or 5 to button 2?

You should be able to do this using the software that came with the mouse. If you bought it OEM you can download it from Microsofts website. The software should allow you to set different actions for the mouse buttons based on what program you currently using.

-Chad

Jeffrey J. Gray wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to have either button 4 or 5 (usually the forward/back buttons) send a 'button 2' signal (ie paste) to cygwin applications? The reasons for this are (1) since button 2 is on the wheel, pressing this button sometimes also accidentally sends a scroll signal making for sloppy paste operations and (2) I just upgraded my mouse, and in the new standard configuration, Windows intercepts button 2 and makes it a 'switch applications' signal. I need button 2 for Cygwin paste operations, so I'm anxious to restore this functionality to my cygwin.

My new mouse/keyboard setup is MS Wireless Optical Desktop Elite (which includes a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0), and I'm running .... hm, not sure how to check my Cygwin version, it's probably ~4 months old .... on WinXP.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff