mouse wheel support question

I've implemented a feature for an application that uses the mouse wheel on
the Windows.
I need to code it for XWindows. From what I have read so far the wheel sends
mouse button
presses of 4 and 5 in Xwindows.

I'm not sure if trying to test through Cygwin is
not letting me detect the messages in XWindows or if there is another
reason.  I found that for XFree86 4.2 "The mouse driver now has support
for mouse wheel emulation."

I tried xdyinfo | grep release
to figure out which version of XFree86 I'm running...
it returned "vender release number : 40200000

So do I need to update my Xfree86 version ?

Thanks,
dAren