XWin: problems on un-networked machine

For a while I've been able to use XWin running from a reduced Cygwin-on-CD
on a non-networked machine by using the command line

    mount -buf $TMPDIR /tmp/
    XWin -nolisten local -multiwindow &

(ther first line is intended to allow the writing on XWin.log and, in the
past, has achieved exactly this). However, lately, and including the most
recent update of XWin _and_ the latest (I think) snapshot of cygwin1.dll,
this has now failed, with no logfile XWin.log written. The application XWin
"dies" immediately, as shown by ps.

1. I attach cygcheck.out

2. Sorry, I know this is an essentially pointless question, but _why_ does
XWin require internet access??!! and, are there other / better switches I
should or could be using than "-nolisten local" to render the application
useable on a non-networked machine?

Thanks,

Fergus