Re: Exclusive window manager for -multiwindow

Takuma,

I have committed a change for -multiwindow window manager
to the xorg tree.  Now the wm should be able to detect
another wm and the others can detect it.  This change
corresponds to the second item (Window manager detection)
in the To-Do list.

To do so the internal wm grabs ButtonPressMask, which is
allowed only one client at once.  Thus other wm's will fail
to obtain the mask and immediately exit when invoked.

Takuma Murakami

I am taking this item off the To Do list. Thanks so much for fixing it. I tested your fix and it works fine with twm. Doing a 'startkde' on a remote box does not fail like twm does... it still works and has weird behavior. I wonder if there is something else that we need to do to work with modern window managers? In any case, your fix is better than what we had before. :)