Re: cygwin/xwin multiple logon scripts

Don,

Don V Black wrote:

Hi -

I have cygwin on W2K Pro from which I launch xwin.exe
I use xwin to monitor 3 Linux servers.

Fair enough.

 I use the ALT-Fn
feature of xwin to open a separate virtual xwin session
(what is that called ... a panel? a window? an instance?)
for each server.

I am not sure what Alt-Fn functionality you are referring to... it isn't a part of XWin.exe as far as I know. Are you using some sort of virtual desktop manager or are you using Alt-Tab to switch between multiple instances of XWin.exe? Are you starting multiple instances of XWin.exe with different display numbers (e.g. 'XWin :0', 'XWin :1', etc) or are you talking about something else?

I then open multiple telnet sessions
form each xwin ALT-Fn instance.  I must relogon to each
of these servers from the multiple telnet sessions every
time W2K is reboot. Of course, this is often.

I suggest instead that you use ssh, which is documented in a few sentences here:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

My question is "How do I set up a script to perform this
multiple logon to multiple servers from xwin under cygwin?"
My W2K client system is on a LAN behind a firewall.

ssh has two faclities that can help you do this:

1) ssh keys - Setup ssh keys, put the private key on your W2K Pro box that you run Cygwin/X on, then copy the text of the public key file to the "authorized keys" file on each of the remote hosts. You can then set the password on your private key to blank, which will supress prompting for the password, with the caveat that anyone that gets ahold of your private key file can easily impersonate you. Search through the OpenSSH docs for more detailed information since ssh keys are not specific to Cygwin/X but are instead shared by any platform that supports ssh.

2) ssh-agent - This is a utility included with OpenSSH that remembers passwords for keys that you have added to it with "ssh-add". The idea is to run ssh-agent, export the variables that it spits back at you in any shell that you want it to work in, then use ssh-add to cache the passwords for your keys. Upon connecting to your remote machines you will not be prompted for your password; ssh-agent will provide it for you. Again, this is documented in generic OpenSSH documentation so please look there for further information.

I think you can get a pretty nice setup with ssh. Let us know how it works out.