Re: Multi-window problems on remote clients

Takuma Murakami wrote:
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow -nowinkill -once -broadcast

I don't think -multiwindow with XDMCP is supported.

Takuma is right. The Multi-Window Window Manager is, as the name implies, a window manager; logging into a remote machine via Xdmcp (using the -broadcast, -query, or -indirect command-line parameters) causes the remote machine to start a window manager. You can only have one window manager at a time for a given display and screen.

In addition, you are seeing strange behavior when using -clipboard because -clipboard enables some code that allows clients on your local X machine to connect to the X Server when you are using Xdmcp. Oddly enough, Xdmcp usually disables access for clients local to the X Server and it requires that all X clients know a certain "magic cookie" in order to be able to connect. The clipboard code adds an internal "magic cookie" that allows the clipboard client to connect; it looks like a side-effect of this is that the window manager is also able to connect sometimes.

You bring up another interesting point that I have not specifically tested: whether -clipboard works with -broadcast. I know that the clipboard manager generally works with -query for Xdmcp, but there is a slight possibility that it would not work with -broadcast. However, I suspect that your problems with the clipboard support will go away when you remove the -multiwindow parameter.

I think I will add some checks to the server now that cause the -multiwindow flag to be overridden if -query, -broadcast, or -indirect is specified.