RE: mouse wheel support question

Here's something easy to try. Bring up the X server, then run "xev" and move the scroll-wheel. Do you see any Button 4 or Button 5 messages? If so, then the server supports them. If not, it doesn't.

From: Daren Lim <limdp@altair.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: mouse wheel support question
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:44:50 -0500

I've implemented a feature for an application that uses the mouse wheel on
the Windows.
I need to code it for XWindows. From what I have read so far the wheel sends
mouse button
presses of 4 and 5 in Xwindows.

I'm not sure if trying to test through Cygwin is
not letting me detect the messages in XWindows or if there is another
reason.  I found that for XFree86 4.2 "The mouse driver now has support
for mouse wheel emulation."

I tried xdyinfo | grep release
to figure out which version of XFree86 I'm running...
it returned "vender release number : 40200000

So do I need to update my Xfree86 version ?

Thanks,
dAren

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide. http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx