RE: Convenient script for starting an XFree86 xterm

FYI - You might want to consider using /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe (the DOS path being c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run) in place of the 1-liner VBScript. Makes things a wee bit cleaner, IMHO.

From: ncokwqc02@sneakemail.com
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Convenient script for starting an XFree86 xterm
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:37:52 -0800

I've seen some other postings on this subject recently, so I'm submitting
this contribution as a potential starting point for others.

I have convenient Windows desktop shortcuts to start up a Cygwin/Bash shell
window and an RXVT/Bash shell window. I was looking for something similar to
start up a Cygwin/XFree86 xterm. Of course, I didn't want to generate
multiple running copies of the 'XWin' server, nor did I want useless Command
prompt windows hanging around.

Here's what I came up with. I make no claim to generality, robustness,
cleverness, originality or anything else. It just works for me.

It consists of three parts:

1) A desktop shortcut with the following target:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\WSCRIPT.EXE "C:\cygwin\invisible.vbs"
"C:\cygwin\XFree86xterm.bat"

2) A VB shell script named 'C:\cygwin\invisible.vbs' containing the single
line:
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0,
False

3) A DOS shell script named 'C:\cygwin\XFree86xterm.bat' containing the
following lines:
@echo off

ps -ef | grep /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin > nul

if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  start /DC:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin /B XWin -multiwindow -clipboard
)

set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xterm -fn 10x20 -sl 1000 -sb -leftbar -ms red -fg
yellow -bg black -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

- The shortcut starts the Windows scripting language, which runs the simple
Visual Basic script.
- The VB script runs the DOS shell script without generating a Command
window.
- The DOS shell script
- Starts 'XWin' with my preferred switches as a background process if no
such process is already running,
- Sets DISPLAY to the 'localhost:0.0', which the 'xterm' will inherit, and
- Starts a login bash shell in an XFree86 xterm with some decent extra
settings.

john

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx