Re: New log file header

Ehud Karni wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:38:52 -0500, Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:

The new header in the log file, as of XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-49, looks like
the following:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 4.3.0.49
Contact: cygwin-xfree at cygwin daught com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
[...]

This change is very good, but there are 2 notes:

1. The Identification (Welcome ... Contact) appears twice (at the top
   and just after "winInitializeDefaultScreens".

Actually, I saw that and fixed it about an hour after the release of -49. So, there were two -49 releases, one of them silent. :) I figured the number of users getting the new release within the first hour would be small. -50 has the same fix.

2. Could you add a time-stamp at beginning of each line ?
   I tried to correspond the log messages with external actions (i.e.
   copy/paste and Emacs errors) and the time stamp could help.

That is an interesting idea. I think we can do something like that because we have a single "ErrorF" function that handles printing the log messages. We should be able to modify this one function to get timestamps on all entries... but it may not look too pretty since it will mess with multiple-line error messages that come from other parts of the source code. If those lines are printed with multiple ErrorF calls, then things will line up correctly. However, if they are printed with a single call to ErrorF with multiple "\n"'s, then it may not look so good. Of course, we could substitute each "\n" in the format string (except for the last) with "\n%TIME%", which would help to keep things aligned.

I dunno... I will have to think about this a bit.

I use the code below in my programs.

Thanks, this will help.

BTW. I could not download 4.3.0-50 from the mirrors yet.

Some mirrors update hourly, others daily or every two days. You can try to find a more up-to-date mirror if you like.