Re: Reducing configuration headaches for cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 04:07:00PM +0100, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> >On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>AFAIK, you wouldn't want to install X without also installing some
> >>other things like bash, at least.  I would think you'd want other tools
> >>like 'cp', as well.  Since people always complain that the minimal
> >>installation for cygwin (which is the default) doesn't have enough
> >>stuff in it, I don't really understand why the minimal installation + X
> >>would have too much.
> >
> >One scenario is the stand-alone xserver which just acts as terminal for
> >remote access.
>
> How would you manage remote access if you didn't at least have bash,
> though?  Run xterm + cmd.exe, maybe?
>
> cgf

Remote access as in running a remote xterm and displaying it on a local X.
Either that, or XDMCP.  The first obviously also needs some other way of
connecting to the remote machine (e.g., telnet).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu