Re: Reducing configuration headaches for cygwin-xfree

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 04:07:00PM +0100, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

AFAIK, you wouldn't want to install X without also installing some
other things like bash, at least.  I would think you'd want other tools
like 'cp', as well.  Since people always complain that the minimal
installation for cygwin (which is the default) doesn't have enough
stuff in it, I don't really understand why the minimal installation + X
would have too much.

One scenario is the stand-alone xserver which just acts as terminal for remote access.

How would you manage remote access if you didn't at least have bash, though? Run xterm + cmd.exe, maybe?

cgf

Remote access as in running a remote xterm and displaying it on a local X.
Either that, or XDMCP.  The first obviously also needs some other way of
connecting to the remote machine (e.g., telnet).

Note that it also works fine with any ssh implementation, such as PuTTY.