Re: Interim source package compilation instructions

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> 4) If you want to perform a clean rebuild, just run the following
> command first before repeating step #3.  Beware that removing thousands
> of files on my machine takes between 5 and 25 minutes (it varies for
> some reason) and could take up to an hour if the Windows machine is

cygwin's file-delete is very slow.  Generally the Windows delete is much
faster (even counting emptying the trash).

> particularly slow.  Of course, Linux with ResierFS completes this
> operation immediately.

sort of.  I've observed that there's a big performance hit when I untar
large files or do other operations that create new files.  Haven't noticed
that it's an faq though.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net