Re: Can't start a specific remote X app any more

On 18 Mar, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>  http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding
>
>  bye

No, I read that before I posted (I should have said so, sorry).  Other X
applications start (sometimes - see below).

My investigations suggest that waiting 10 minutes and trying again is
a workaround.

But Harold's suggestion (to use trusted X forwarding), has worked twice
in succession now with no need for a 10 minute pause to get things
working, so that seems to be a solution.

I still don't understand why a 10 minute pause was needed with
old-style X forwarding, but hey, it works with -Y.

Thanks, Harold.

> >  X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
> >    Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
> >    Atom id in failed request:  0xee
> >    Serial number of failed request:  12
> >    Current serial number in output stream:  15
>
> I tried running the MUA from inside gdb, and it worked.
> Basically, this is what happened
>
> 	postilion --> error message above
> 	repeat 3 times
> 	ssh -X to my Linux machine
> 	postilion --> error message above
> 	xmessage --> ok
> 	tkxplanet --> ok
> 	postilion inside gdb --> ok
> 	postilion --> ok
> 	# log out
> 	postilion --> this error message:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>   Atom id in failed request:  0xee
>   Serial number of failed request:  11
>
> 	ssh -X to my Linux machine
>
> $ tkxplanet
> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter
>   Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>   Atom id in failed request:  0xee
>   Serial number of failed request:  11
> $ xmessage ok
> $ tkxplanet
> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>   Atom id in failed request:  0xee
>   Serial number of failed request:  11
>
> I haven't managed to run the MUA a 2nd time.
>
> Ah.  Having just typed all this up, I just tried again in case it might
> be time related.  Since both times it worked, it was about 10 minutes
> after a series of failures.  Sure enough, it's working again at the
> moment.
>
> Any idea what might be going on here?

luke