XTerm won't start on Win2000

I'm a newbie to Cygwin X, and I can't open an XTerm. I've tried various options including startxwin.bat, startxwin.sh (from a Cygwin bash shell) and manually typing in commands from startxwin.sh.
When running the bat file in dos, I get nothing - no error messages and no xterms.
From bash, I still don't get xterms but I do get an error message: "xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0"
I've tried reinstalling the whole of my Cygwin dist, just Xfree, fonts and zlib with absolutely no effect.
I'm not using ssh and I have a colleague who should have an identical PC build who uses Xfree fine, so I know it's possible.
There is no X log being created in /tmp. In fact, /tmp is empty. Having read other posts, I find this distinctly worrying.
I'm running Win2000Professional and I've checked for suppressed pop-ups about missing dlls. There aren't any.

Sorry not to provide more information but this is all I have! Any clues for where to find more logs, or (even better) a solution to my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Susannah