Re: xfontsel crashes with cygwin-1.5.8 and all the latext X packagesinstalled

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:42:51PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

I get a crash when running xfontsel under latest cygwin-1.5.8
and all the latest cygwin C packages installed.

Please try the latest cygwin1.dll snapshot. It sounds like this problem may be fixed by it. I would like positive confirmation of this.

There is no indication from this bug report that this is in any way
related to the problems fixed by the snapshot and now by the 1.5.9-1
release.  The only fix in the cygwin snapshot was a work around for a
cygwin heap problem which manifested on certain Windows XP or 2000
systems.

From your description of the fix:

Since I have "fixed" the problem with people being unable to run some
programs due to cygheap allocation, I should release a new version of
cygwin ASAP.

We've been having problems with emacs bombing, XWin.exe bombing, now xfontsel bombing (without any changes being made to xfontsel from the pervious release), and you talked about a fix for apps dying on startup... sounded related to me.

There is nothing that would address a SEGV.  Judging from Volker's stack
trace, it looks like the problem is in the program itself, rather than
the Cygwin DLL, too.

Dunno... it is happening with too many programs now to suspect the program itself. We need to compile some better information about these crashes but I have been busy working on packaging and such. I think we can start looking into this real soon now.