Re: X/Cygwin icon proposal

Phil Betts wrote:

Hi Harold,

First off, as this is my first submission to the list, I'd like to
extend my thanks
to you and all of the other contributors to Cygwin/X.

Glad you like it.

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
1) A Japanese user has reported that the new icon was garbled on his Windows NT (I believe) system. This is an isolated case so far and I think it is due to something with that particular system and is not something that we should worry about unless it starts getting reported

more.

This is a pretty mature list, followed by the sort of people who can
resist the
urge to send in "me too" messages.  I suspect that there are others like
me who
saw the original fault report and thought "OK, it's been logged already,
I'll await
the results".  Therefore, please don't discount solitary fault reports.

I have to discount them... I can't think of everything that gets reported once as a bonifed problem. You are right, the list is mature, but people should know that *at least one other person* should speak up to verify that they also have the same problem as another is reporting. This is essential and I am pretty amazed that no one did speak up in this case, until now.

> FWIW, here are my observations on the discussion so far:

a) It makes no sense to inflict a random splodge on users of older OSes, just because a newer OS is able to display a prettier version of the current icon.

As I have said before, this is a technical question getting lots of personal and emotional answers. Let me make this perfectly clear for everyone that is getting tied up on this issue:

1) Possible to have alpha icon that doesn't mess with older versions of Windows --> Our default icon will have alpha versions.

2) Alpha icons always mess with older versions of windows --> Our default icon will *not* have alpha versions.

There is no room for discussion on this, it is a simple technical question of "is this possible or not".

Please, refrain from discussing personal opinions, speculation about what version of Windows people are using, etc. I have always aimed to support the minimum subset of features available on all versions of Windows since 95 and I am not going to deviate from that on the icon issue.

b) As a user of an older OS, I would gladly live with an amorphous
blotch if you
could get the clipboard to work with emacs!

Umm... the clipboard should work with emacs... if it does not, then that is a problem. You are using the -clipboard parameter from a recent version (xserv-4.3.0-59) and *not* using xwinclip, right? This was fixed ages ago if you are referring to the selection highlight disappearing.