Re: Changes to multiwindow mode and always-on-top (ping Takuma)

Hello Takuma,

At 07:56 PM 3/20/2004 +0900, Takuma Murakami wrote:
You give me a good insight to improve Z order handling.
I believe we can approach to better solutions.  The attached
is my latest code which should fix all problems on restacking
and a-o-t windows without using fAlwaysOnTop flag.  Could you
try and review this?

It works great from my testing today! On Monday I'll bring it to work for a harder test, I normally have 10 or so emacs and xterms running with an occasional EDA tool. (It seems that cygwin's emacs-x11 has some problems, not due to these changes, so I can't get too many started locally to test...)

> of the regular stack.  It's a 1 line change in winmultiwindowwndproc.c.
It must be the SetWindowPos() in the winTopLevelWindowProc's
WM_SHOWWINDOW handler.  I removed SWP_NOACTIVATE flag since
popups can't get into the front with the flag.

Yes, seems fine w/o that flag set. The HWND_TOPMOST still gets set fine, and menus stay in the top z-pane. I just put it in there because during some intermediate testings I left all created windows as OVERLAPPEDWINDOW and not set back to POPUP (for the cascading).

In recent changes I made winRestackWindowMultiWindow empty

I was wondering about the #if 0 on this section, but your new reorder routine seems to keep things working 100%.

and removed winReorderWindowsMultiWindow(), which were my
fault and forced you to reinvent PreserveWin32Stack().  I think
winReorderWindowsMultiWindow() is Kensuke's version of
PreserveWin32Stack().  He does the work in X server's internal
function (ConfigureWindow) while you do through WM thread
(XRaiseWindow).

Yes, I'm more familiar with Xlib than internal DDX routines, so chose the one I understood. The restacking you've put back in the ReorderMW works just as well, or probably better.

One thing I was worried about, and I see that you've taken care
of, is the fact that since we iterate over the Win32 window stack
and do a series of ConfigureWindow/etc., those ConfigureWindows()
might cause yet another Restack call, resulting in up to ((n*(n-1))/2)
calls.  The fRestacking flag you put back in looks like the easiest
way of handling this...

Thanks, I'll let you know if anything pops up in my testing!

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
 http://www.cdrlabel.com