Re: windowed mode seemingly unavailable

Takuma, thanks for your quick response. My apologies in advance to all (because I don't think this will end up in the proper thread), but I have still not received a copy of either Takuma's e-mail or mine in my inbox.

I did read the response on the website though and am now very close to a solution. Using 'startx -- :0', I can open the xserver window with an xterm started. However, the xterm does not have any toolbars allowing it to be resized or repositioned. Compounding the problem is the fact that whenever I launch a remote app like say xclock, it opens on top of the xterm (and since there are no toolbars, I cannot move or close it either).

I have tried looking through the xwin arguments mentioned here:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/configure-cygwin-xfree-options.html

but do not seem to see anything related (I have tried -scrollbars and -nodecoration). Just as a workaround, I also tried to see if installing the other slightly older package of xfree86 using the setup utility would bring me back to the old green toolbar with white background arrangement that was working for me before, but no success.

Brian,

The default mode from startx is now -multiwindow that you got.
Although its performance has been improved, you can edit
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx to modify defaultserverargs.  Or you can
override default args on invocation, for example 'startx -- :0'
("--" indicates that following arguments should be given to the
X server).

Takuma Murakami