Re: Cygwin Tk for X?

Jeffrey C Honig wrote:

I'm curious why the only Tk for Cygwin opens Windows windows, why isn't
there one that opens X11 windows?  I'd like to be able to use send
between apps running other hosts.

Because, I believe I have this correct, Cygnus developed a Win32 native port of graphical interface in Tk for use with their debugging tool (Insight, IIRC). This version of Tk has been distributed with Cygwin for as long as I can remember and possibly forever.

Is it just because no-one has taken the time to build it?

Yes, that is sort of it. In other words, people are open to the idea of adding an X11 version of Tk, but it needs to be done in a way that allows both the X11 and Win32 versions to be installed at the same time. This sort of splitting, renaming, and script foo will take about 60 hours. So, it isn't just that people are lazy, it is that it will take a significant amount of time to complete all of the tasks, test it, and fix errors in the packaging scheme. I've thought about doing this at times, but I haven't got time for it at the moment.