Okay, how about an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ to 2100+ with Palomino core?

Hmm... no one seems to have the old Athlon 1.33 or 1.4's lying around. Oddly enough, they are selling for more on eBay than used Athlon XP chips.

Which brings me to my next point: I just discovered that I could actually use any of the AMD Athlon XP 1600+ to 2100+ chips that use the Palomino core with my current Iwill KA266 motherboard (though specs claim it only works with standard Athlon's up to 1.4 GHz). Note that the Thoroughbred cores are also available in speeds matching those of the Palomino from 1600+ to 2100+, but the Thoroughbred cores will not POST with this motherboard.

I checked eBay and pricewatch and found the 1600+ Palomino's are selling used (eBay) for $15 and new (pricewatch) for $34 while the 2100+ Palomino are selling used for $40 and new for $50.

I am asking if anyone has one of these Palomino core chips that they have retired to their parts graveyard. If so, please allow me to take it off of your hands if you do not intend to sell it. This faster chip should help cut my build time another 30% or so, which will allow me to get more actual work done on Cygwin/X instead of waiting for compiles to finish. Be aware that this is the only wife-approved processor upgrade that I can get at the moment, especially after the case and RAM that I bought. :)

Thanks in advance,

Harold

P.S. I will post publicly if someone arranges to send me a chip off list, so you can know that I have not been offered a chip until you see a followup in the mailing list.