Remote KDE with Cygwin X

Hello

I want to report a strange problem I have since yesterday
since I upgraded Cygwin X base to 4.3.0-9. I upgraded my
entire cygwin installation to the version available yesterday.

I have a WinXP laptop and a linux server that has no monitor.
I have had this setup for over a year now, Cygwin X always
worked perfectly for it, I have also not changed the KDE
on the server lately.

I run KDE remotely on my laptop when I use the Linux server by
- starting XWin.exe with one xterm inside on the laptop
- ssh'ing to the server: ssh -X -l <user> <server>
- starting KDE on the server: kde

After yesterday's upgrade I now have the strange effect
that launching and running the KDE hangs at various stages unless
I select some text from the initial xterm window with the mouse.

Like: KDE is running, I want to start Konqueror and click on it's
Icon, nothing happens, once I bring the xterm window, which I used
for ssh'ing to the server and starting the kde from, into the
foreground and highlight some text in it with the mouse,
konqueror appears.

I only detected the workaround, because KDE hung during launch
and I wanted to highlight and copy/paste the messages from the
xterm window to a mail I wanted to send to this group.
All of a sudden the launch proceeded then hung again, .....

I somehow have the feeling the problem has something to do
with the clipboard, I do not know enough to really say :-(.

Maybe this post helps somebody figuring out the problem.
I can live with my "workaround" so far.

Greetings,

        Peter

Peter Graf, http://mission.base.com