Re: uxterm from xterm-185-3 and xfontsel crashing when runningunder cygserver support

Hi

I tried to find some information about the BigFont extension. This is
from the X man page:

       XF86BIGFONT_DISABLE
              Setting   this  variable  to  a  non-empty  value  disables  the
              XFree86-Bigfont extension. This  extension  is  a  mechanism  to
              reduce the memory consumption of big fonts by use of shared mem-
              ory.

So I tried the following. I enabled the cygserver service again and set
XF86BIGFONT_DISABLE=1 in my environment before starting up XWin. And
voila, xfontsel and uxterm are working properly. So there's definitely a
problem with the shared memory support of cygserver related to the
BigFont extension.

BTW I see the problem also with my mule enabled XEmacs when opening
mails under Gnus with Japanese characters. XEmacs crashes happily, but
not when using XF86BIGFONT_DISABLE or when disabling cygserver.

Ciao
  Volker