RE: Pathnames for X server app-defaults etc.

> Subject: RE: Pathnames for X server app-defaults etc.
> From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@ivimey.org>
> To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
> Cc: "'Dr.D.J.Picton'" <dave@aps5.ph.bham.ac.uk>
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:39:42 +0000
>
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:36, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:
> > The xserver is called XWin.exe. Maybe X is a custom script that starts the
> > xserver with xdmcp parameters. The first lines of the log should contain
> > the commandline parameters. Unfortunately you stripped them

It seems to me that we are chasing red herrings here.  /usr/X11R6/X is
just a symbolic link to /usr/X11R6/Xwin.exe - they are one and the same!

I suspect that Ruth's problem is not quite the same as mine.  My X
server didn't crash; it just failed to find the application default files
and fell back on a default for the keyboard map, so that when I typed '#' on
my UK keyboard I got '\'.  Anyway, the symbolic links fixed the problems.
If the same symbolic links don't fix Ruth's problem, she probably needs to
look elsewhere.  Maybe the first thing to do is to reinstall the X11 packages.