Re: About box

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Jack Tanner wrote:

> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> > Okay, I did it myself.  We now have an About box that can be opened from
> > the tray icon menu.  The About box contains four buttons that link to
> > our website (x.cygwin.com), our User's Guide on the website, our FAQ on
> > the website, and our ChangeLog that is installed locally with the
> > XFree86-xserv package.
>
> My apologies for saying this AFTER you did the work... The about box is
> wrong. (Sorry, sorry, hold the flames.)
>
> These links really belong in the Start menu (ideally under
> Programs\Cygwin, but they'd also be acceptable under Programs\Cygwin/X).
> This way, the links being URLs and links to .html files, they
> automatically inherit the icon of the default web browser, making it
> obvious what they point to.
>
> What should really be in the about box is something like this:
>
> [logo]	Cygwin/X X11R6 Server
> 	Copyright blah
> 	Licensed under GPL (use standard short FSF blurb here)
> 	Installed Packages (xserv 4.3.0-62, xterm 185-4, etc.)
> 	Visit us at http://x.cygwin.com. (Make URL blue, underlined, and a link
> to the site).
>
> The about box's window title should be "About Cygwin/X".
>
> The tray menu's entry for the about box should be between "hide/show
> root window" and "exit"; it should not be the bottom-most entry. The
> entry itself should be called not "About..." but "About Cygwin/X".

I agree with all of these points, some moreso than others..  URLs
definitely shouldn't be represented as buttons, as it's inconsistent with
just about every other user interface out there (across multiple
platforms)..  The about/exit order in the menu is also somewhat
significant, most applications where an 'exit' option is useful place it
at the bottom of the tray menu.

My two cents..

-Rob