Re: test case for clipboard hang?

Ed,

Ed Avis wrote:

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo <at> msu.edu> writes:

1) Reboot
2) start a fresh xwin, xterm, notepad, and put some text in the xterm and notepad
3) select, ^C copy from notepad, middle-click in xterm. it pastes successfully
4) select in xterm, leave the text reverse-videoed
5) ^V paste into notepad (successfully)
6) drop the selection in xterm (by left clicking somewhere)
7) ^V paste into notepad (successfully, even though the selection is dropped)
8) select a different piece of text in xterm.
9) drop the selection in xterm
10) ^V paste into notepad: it hangs for a few seconds and doesn't paste. (The paste menu option is NOT greyed out at this point).

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the new fix in XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-63, which should be hitting mirrors within a few hours.

Yes, I can reproduce the hang with 4.3.0-50 (actually, I used xemacs not xterm)
but it does not hang in 4.3.0-63.  After I drop the X selection it is no longer
in the Windows clipboard, so that I cannot paste into Notepad.

Thank you. It is good to know that this is confirmed as fixed for the time being.

I don't know if
this is consistent with cut and paste on a native X desktop, but it is a massive
improvement over hanging.  Thanks!

I'm willing to be it is consistent. We monitor the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD selections... most apps set one or the other. We still advertise to Win32 that we have data to paste if either PRIMARY or CLIPBOARD is owned by an X application other than the clipboard integration manager. The problem before was that we didn't stop advertising data to paste when both PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD were not owned by valid X applications; the reason for this is that the clipboard manager looked like a valid X app and it owned at least one of PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD still, so we kept advertising data to paste. The failure mode for this was inconsistent: the first time seemed to grab data from the X application that used to own the selection while the second time might have tried grabbing data from the clipboard manager for the clipboard manager to paste, which lead to a deadlock.

Simple test case: don't use "-clipboard", select some text in a xterm, unselect it, then right-click in another xterm... I don't think you'll see any text pasted unless there is a clipboard manager of some sort running (i.e. don't do this in Xdmcp).