Re: startx crashes, xinit works

Luke,

luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
I find that after installing the latest version of Cygwin just now, X
crashes if I try to start it via startx (not starting with -rootless or
-multiwindow), with the error

There is only one way to prove that: send us the top of your /tmp/XWin.log from such a failed session. The top of XWin.log has a print out of the command-line parameters that reached the server, which will prove for good whether -multiwindow is reaching the server or not.

wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a window manager running
waiting for X server to shut down xterm:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset
by peer) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

The Xwin.log ends with:

winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD - Initializing - Returning.
winClipboardProc - Call to select () failed: -1.  Bailing.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
ddxBeforeReset - Hello

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

Oh yeah, -multiwindow reached the server all right... we wouldn't be starting multi-window mode if it didn't.

Yet I can start it up if I run xinit.

From 'startx':

defaultserverargs="-multiwindow -clipboard"

You see, it is startx that sets the default arugments, not xinitrc.

You can always just do "startx -- :0", which provides server args of ":0", thus overriding the "defaultserverargs", thus preventing "-multiwindow" from being passed to XWin.exe. Give that a try. Note: The ":0" doesn't change anything if you were already running on display number 0 before (this is the default), it is just used here as a dummy argument so that defaultserverargs are ignored. You could just as easily change this to "startx -- :1" if you were always starting on display number 1 instead.

Harld