Re: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-66

Lev,

Lev Bishop wrote:
Harold:I tried the build method you described, but I get an error:

I get:
making all in programs/Xserver/xkb...
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xc/.build/programs/Xserver/xkb'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/xkmread.c', needed by `xkmread.c'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc/.build/programs/Xserver/xkb'
make: *** [xkb] Error 2

Seems to be something to do with the BuildXKBlib macro. Probably caused by the lines in config/cf/X11.tmpl:

#define BuildXKBfilelib              (BuildXKB && !BuildServersOnly)
#if BuildXKBlib
    XKBFILELIBSRC = $(LIBSRC)/xkbfile

I tried adding the line:
XKBFILELIBSRC = $(LIBSRC)/xkbfile
To xc/CYGWIN-PATCHES/hosts.def.in

and building again. Which gives me an XWin.exe that appears to work (I haven't tested it much yet).

Yeah, that will work for now. It appears that this has been fixed in the version that we will begin distributing next week sometime, so there is no need to fix this permanently in our current tarballs.

I find the X build system (like many other build systems) completely bewildering so that's as far as I got. Did I do the right thing?

Yup, you should be good to go... all you needed to do in this case was to shut up the compiler and make, which you did just fine if you got an XWin.exe in the end.

Now you can start sending me patches instead of instructions on what to do. Send a few good patches and you'll get a cvs account to start doing things directly yourself. I think that the things you are working on for making the clipboard support more robust and reliable are very worthwhile and I appreciate that you are looking into them.

For making patches, let me suggest using the little makefile I stuck in /usr/src/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin. If you want to make a backup of just the files in hw/xwin (most likely this is all you'll be sending patches for, or all that you'll want to backup before you make big changes), then just do the following:

cd /usr/src/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin
make -f backup.mk VERSION=YYYYMMDD-HHMM

The scripts will make a backup of all relevent files in hw/xwin while ignoring stupid files created by emacs like foo~ and #foo#, or other backup files. It will create a directory called /usr/src/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin-YYYYMMDD-HHMM (of course, substitute the date and time there, in that ISO-style format so that sorting works properly).

I do this right before I make a big change and right after I am done, then I do the following to make a patch (where * marks the previous version and ^ marks the current version):

cd /usr/src/xc/programs/Xserver/hw
diff -upN xwin-YYYYMMDD-HHMM* xwin-YYYYMMDD-HHMM^ > \
xwin-YYYYMMDD-HHMM^.diff

Hope that helps,