Re: uxterm from xterm-185-3 and xfontsel crashing when running under cygserver support

On Mar 30 09:30, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     Corinna> I've build my own debug version of the X stuff today and I tracked the
>     Corinna> SEGV down.  It's an unfortunate combination of two bugs in the SHM
>     Corinna> implementation:
>
>     Corinna> - shmat() returns NULL on error instead of (void *)-1.
>
>     Corinna> - shmat() only operates on shared memory segments of which the shmid
>     Corinna>   has been retrieved using shmget() by the application itself.  I was
>     Corinna>   absolutely sure that only the key argument to shmget() is a valid
>     Corinna>   interprocess exchange value for identifying shared memory segments.
>     Corinna>   I wasn't aware that the shmid itself could be exchanged.
>
>     Corinna> For today, I only fixed the first bug.  This fixes the SEGV in uxterm
>     Corinna> and friends, but a fix for the second bug is necessary to get a working
>     Corinna> Bigfont extension.  I hope to get this done next week.
>
> I just tried your fix which seems to be in the 20040329 snapshot. But
> now /usr/sbin/cygserver doesn't start anymore. I installed it as a
> service with cygrunsrv. The same happens for my other cygwin service
> /sbin/init which also refuses to start. In the process list I could see
> 4 !! /bin/cygrunsrv processes so. Reverting to 1.5.9 and all is fine.

Please try the 20040403 snapshot.  It contains a fix for the shmat
problem which shold allow the bigfont extension to work.

Corinna

P.S: And somehow I'd wish you'd use a more space-saving and more concise
     quoting style...

Red Hat, Inc.