text catalogs et al

Hi!

I am porting an application into cygwin having previously ported to a beta Interix without any problems other than I can not iconify it (yet).. I used the the cygwin X server.

Below I have listed comments and where I have difficulties. Any input will be gratefully received and will be instantly applied.

None of this is at the level I am used to reading in the mail. Quite simple stuff really.

I am using a csh environment, sorry old habits die hard. The machine has 1Gb memory and an AMD Athlon 2800+, 2.08 GHz processor and the Windows 2003 Op sys.

The application is quite complex, uses X plus Motrif widgets. There are no known bugs in this app.

Firstly it is very slow to changed directory using an access alias, I have changed the PATH to that recommended in the FAQ to no effect..

I have refreshed my installation with a cygwin download from yesterday, 4/4/04, and recompiled all the application and its libraries including motif..

I cannot find any catalog functions, e.g. gencat, catopen and catgets. Do they exist or should I write them?

Lseek(descriptor, 0L, 2) returns 0 on all files. Something I am missing, other than hair and brain cells? lseek(fd, disp,0) does not seem to work either. Is there something different that I should be doing to keep cygwin happy? If so what other low level file handling should I be aware of?

A script with a first line of "#!/bin/ksh" does not work and the simple ksh scripting is not recognised. It complained about the "#!" and I guess that ksh is not implemented in cygwin? I need to check the setup.exe table for the latter.

cuserid only returns the first 9 characters of the user name. ( Not yet checked setting of L_cuserid)

There are include file conflicts Xlib.h & stddef.h (wchar_t), Xos.h & errno.h (sys_errlist).

nl_types.h seems partially replaced by langinfo.h

lockf does not exist, does cygwin use fnctl?

Nice to see IPC in the dll now. Have not tried it yet because of above script issue.

PS.

Nice to put a face to a name, thanks Harold.

Kind regards,

Darryl Scott

Profile Product Costing Ltd
The Old Vicarage, Market Place, Castle Donington, DE74 2JB, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 1332 856972 FAX: +44 (0) 1332 810769 Mobile +44 (0) 7808 078388
Web : www.productcosting.com
This email and any attachments have been checked for viruses.