Problem with truetype fonts caused by not building FreeType module?

I've been doing a little poking, and I'm guessing that the reason
server-side truetype doesn't work any more is that we're not building the
FreeType module. I think we used to get it by #include <xfree86.cf> in
cygwin.cf which had defaults in xfree86.cf to build both the FreeType and
XTrueType (as I understand it only one is needed):
#ifndef BuildFreeType
# define BuildFreeType		YES
#endif

#ifndef BuildXTrueType
# define BuildXTrueType		YES
#endif

However, I tried putting #define BuildFreeType YES in host.def and while
it appeared to build FreeType into the font lib, the xwin I got still
didn't support Truetype.

Test case:
$ xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
xset:  bad font path element (#58), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

Where the directory does exist, does have fonts.dir, no font server is
being specified. I can't see any problem with permissions.

Lev