Re: XWin glitch: alt-tab menu

Keith,

Keith Thompson wrote:

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 07:33:18PM -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:

When I run the XWin server on Windows XP, its icon is always the first
in the alt-tab menu that's used to switch between Windows applications.
To go back to XWin, I have to either use alt-shift-tab or cycle through
the entire menu.  I've never seen another Windows application that
does this.

As Harold L Hunt II quite correctly pointed out, I didn't provide enough
information.  I'll now provide too much.  8-)}

My system is an IBM Thinkpad T40 running Windows XP Pro with the latest
updates.  (I think I've seem the same symptom on my Windows 2000 system
at home, but I can't confirm that at the moment.)

I've installed the latest updates for Cygwin, including xorg-x11-xwin
version 6.7.0.0-2.

Hmm... this is suspicious, you claim 6.7.0.0-2 but your log file states 6.7.0.0-1. It could be my mistake, but you might also need to reboot to allow XWin.exe to be upgraded if it was being used when setup.exe was being run.

I start the XWin server from a Cygwin bash shell, using the following
command:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -fullscreen -emulate3buttons &

And something that I hadn't noticed before: XWin.exe produces a bunch
of output on stderr (the last three lines show up when I terminate it):

The output on stderr is a feature not a bug. Just redirect the output to /dev/null if you don't need it (e.g. XWin > /dev/null 2>&1).

Can I ask if you have a good reason for using fullscreen? I would think you might be more interested in -multiwindow (internal window manager), -rootless (needs an external window manager, but doesn't show root window), or -nodecoration (needs external window manager, does show root window but without window titlebar and border). I'm asking because almost no one uses -fullscreen anymore and I think that the problem you are reporting is peculiar to -fullscreen.

We use two different routines to create our top-level window: one for fullscreen and one for all other modes. The fullscreen procedure sets the WS_EX_TOPMOST extended style for our top-level window. I'm not sure if this is required, it has been a long time since I wrote that code... and changing it might re-introduce bugs that were fixed by specifying that style. But, I think I'll take a short look at it.

Until then, try the other modes and report if you have started using one of them instead.