Re: Problem with X forwarding by openssh-3.8p1

The problem is not that there is no X11-forwarding. For example, gv from the
Linux remote host produces the correct display on the cygwin X-server.
Similarly, xdvi and even netscape also work. However, if I try to run ical, a
linux calendar program, I get the following error message:

X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x105
  Serial number of failed request:  13

The problem with Matlab was described in my earlier message.

Is there anything else that I should send in to help debug, or is there
something else I should try?

Raymond

Harold Hunt wrote:

See A1:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding

kwong@control.toronto.edu wrote:
I have installed the lastest X11 binaries, including xorg-x11-xwin 6.7.0.0-3,
together with openssh-3.8p1. The rest of my cygwin installation is also
up-to-date, including cygwin1.dll version 1.5.9-1. I use startxwin.bat to start
XWin using -multiwindow -clipboard. I login to a remote Linux server using ssh
-X and start a Matlab session. The Matlab flash screen comes up, but when the
flash screen disappears, there is only a menu bar located at the top left
corner of the screen. If I choose maximize, the Matlab command window comes up
but I am not able to type in any commands. If I downgrade to openssh-3.7.1p2-2,
the problem disappears. The sshd_config file is identical in
both cases.

There are other problems with X forwarding under openssh-3.8p1, but since I am
now using openssh-3.7.1p2-2, I cannot reproduce the error messages. I don't
know
whether this is considered an openssh-3.8p1 problem or a X server problem, but
there appears to be some incompatibility issue here.

Raymond Kwong