Re: Mozilla firefox over ssh: Gdk-ERROR **: BadDrawable/BadAccess

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 fstx@algorithmica.se wrote:

> The real question here is why the X11 SECURITY extension disallows
> some of the operations that Mozilla wants to do. Are they really
> unsafe, or is the security specification overly restrictive?

There is a document about waht the X11 Security extension does. I've
posted the URL to the mailinglist short after OpenSSH 3.8 was out.

It said that some operations (GetProperty was one of them) can reveal
client data to an attacker. So these functions are disabled in untrusted
X11. They can be adjusted with the SecurityPolicy file but noone has
ever taken a closer look to that file and tried to figure out safe and
unsafe calls.

bye
	ago
--