Windows titles, root window and xterm

Hi!
Two /three points :

Point 1 : Opposite behaviour in Window titles defaulting to Cygwin/X X

A similar point to this has been raised before, in March 2004, in a remote context. I do not believe that it was ever answered fully.

I have just installed Cygwin on a 100% clean W2000 machine and have opposite behaviour to that found on W2003 with the same version (8/4/04 N.B dd/mm/yy not USA format) of Cygwin. Any explanations? Clearly on W2000 it wants the clipboard started, what ever that entails. My point is that opposite behaviour occurs on W2003, I just want to understand why.

Below are the XWin command lines and the differences found in the W2000 log files.
There are no fails in the common part of the log files.

StartXwin.bat

This version displays executable titles from the X-app bulletins as required. In W2003 it is the opposite.

XWin -multiwindow -emulate3buttons -nowinkill

Xwin log segment from W2000 :

winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

EOF

StartXwin.bat

This version produces Cygwin/X X as the bulletin titles. In W2003 it is the opposite.

XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -emulate3buttons -nowinkill

Xwin log segment form W2000:

winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD - Initializing - Returning.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.

EOF

Point 2/3 : "the root window"

What is the name of the *rc file that controls this root window? Currently it is a seemingly useless frozen blob without mouse control and unpopulated. So I would like to either use it or loose it.

The other menu items controlled via .XWinrc are OK except that the application elements have an instance of a xterm that was used to open the application. While this xterm dies after the application dies it would be good to lose it earlier.

e.g. XWinrc menu commands :

xterm -fg ** -bg ** // using .bashrc

and

xterm -fg ** -bg ** -e /usr/bin/tcshrc // using .tcshrc and other shells and scripts

etc.

I have successfully "lost" this xterm when running applications within Cygwin but have not manage to do this when using Cygwin as the X-server for "foreign" applications.

e.g. for Cygwin calls in XWinrc use a shell invocation to start the application :

/usr/bin/tcshrc

etc.

The same style of call to a non Cygwin application does not work.

Input greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Darryl Scott

Profile Product Costing Ltd
The Old Vicarage, Market Place, Castle Donington, DE74 2JB, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 1332 856972 FAX: +44 (0) 1332 810769 Mobile +44 (0) 7808 078388
Web : www.productcosting.com
This email and any attachments have been checked for viruses.