-mwextwm works but -multiwindow does not

I am running the latest version of Cygwin/X on a Windows 2000 machine.  I
launch it from a cygwin shell as follows:

export DISPLAY=:4
Xwin :4 -multiwindow &

I then ssh to my remote linux box and launch kde.  I find that this gives a
multitude of errors such as:

"MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support" and
"X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3"

Then, when I try to open almost any kde application, the app fails to appear
(almost always) and gives the following error:
"KLauncher could not be reached via DCOP".

But when I use the -mwextwm switch instead of -multiwindow... no problems.

I guess this means that I should use -mwextwm instead of -multiwindow, but why?

..Bob.

=====
--Bob White-- home:727-490-7363, cell:727-463-6061
New (popup free!) photos of Polina: http://polina.70kg.com/

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. - Carl Jung