Remote X clients (xterm, nedit, ...) dying

Hello,

I've been using Cygwin/X for a few month now, and it mostly worked,
recently even the "X steals selection" annoyance got fixed, great!

All of a sudden, however, there's something weird going on:

I'm using Cygwin/OpenSSH to connect to remote machines
and then use the local Cygwin/X server to display the remote
X apps, using ssh's protocol tunneling.

I am connecting to remote Solaris, AIX and Linux hosts.

- On Solaris any X client now will die on first KeyPress, like xterm
  giving me:

     f970413@sphinx:/home/f970413 > xterm
     xterm:  unable to open font
"-bitstream-terminal-medium-*-narrow-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-iso885-*", trying
"fixed"....
     xterm:  warning, error event receieved:
     X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
resource denied)
       Major opcode of failed request:  102 (X_ChangeKeyboardControl)
       Serial number of failed request:  93
     f970413@sphinx:/home/f970413 > xedit
     Warning: Cannot convert string "helvetica_bold12" to type FontStruct
     X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
resource denied)
       Major opcode of failed request:  102 (X_ChangeKeyboardControl)
       Serial number of failed request:  196

- I can't (3rd-button-)paste a Solaris-xterm-selection to an
AIX-xterm-selection
- Trying the reverse kills the source (AIX) xterm
- On AIX my editor (nedit => Motif) dies on Ctrl-sequences, giving me (on
Ctrl-C):
     f970413@nephtys:/user/f970413 > nedit .profile &
     [1]     150426
     f970413@nephtys:/user/f970413 > X Error of failed request:  BadAtom
(invalid Atom parameter)
       Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
       Atom id in failed request:  0x1ad
       Serial number of failed request:  4199

     [1] +  Done(1)                 nedit .profile &
- The AIX xterm otherwise works
- On Linux there are no problems at all
- A 3-way ssh (ssh to Linux, from there to Solaris) makes Solaris xterms
work again
- Sigh..., this looks very confusing
- All of it used to WORK.
- There is no error message in the XWin.log file
- Unfortunately 3 things happened at once prior to these failures:

1) Windows Administration patched my workstation (W2K)
2) Unix Administration patched ssh
3) I patched Cygwin incl. X and ssh (thus going from XFree86 to X.org)

Oh well,

anyone any idea?

Mark.

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166