Re: Windows fonts - some observations

>> However, I failed to get Windows Bitmap Fonts (
.fon
>> files ) working in
>> the same way. As I understand it, FreeType 2 should
>> support these ok; I
>> symlinked /mnt/win.../*.fon into my ~/.fonts dir,
ran
>> fc-cache, tried
>> e.g xterm -fa "Small Fonts", but everything
appeared
>> as white-on-white.
>> I tried setting the foreground color, background
>> color, etc, but nothing
>> ever appears except the cursor. Anyone else seen
this?
>> I'm not currently
>> able to try this under on another setup, so could
>> easily be my screw up.
>
> Are the *.fon fonts listed with fc-list?

Yes - all listed, eg:

Small Fonts:style=Regular

and it doesn't use the default font that would appear
when the -fa
"fontname" is a fontname that doesn't appear in the
list (at least I
assume it doesn't - I picked "Small Fonts" as my
example as with a fixed
geometry setting in my .Xdefaults, the xterm is
smaller than with a
larger font). Also, selecting from the xterm and
pasting elsewhere works
fine:

antony@rothko (~) % pwd
/home/antony
antony@rothko (~) %

Its just the colo(u)r thats wrong - my .Xdefaults has:

xterm*Background:	black
xterm*Foreground:	DarkSeaGreen
xterm*cursorColor:	DarkSeaGreen

but the xterm appears black-on-black with a
DarkSeaGreen cursor.
Removing my .Xdefaults file gives white-on-white with
a black cursor.
I've also tried removing my .bashrc in case it was a
problem with prompt
colorisation or something like that; exactly the same
problem.

Interestingly, mlterm shows the same phenomenon -
works fine in with
truetype fonts, black-on-black with .fon fonts.

This is using Cygwin/X updated this morning to latest
versions of
everything.

Antony.