new install problems

Ok I HOPE this is not too much of a nube question but here goes:

I have been using Linux for over 5 years with few problems.

I have a laptop with Windows 2000 Pro and current service packs etc.

I ran the current (as of yesterday) Cygwin setup with all the standard
stuff.

The included X startup works ok..

Tried to run WindowMaker to get a better setup..

Found wmaker.exe run it and it just goes ape with errors!

Seems like the main problem may be long filenames & path with a space.

My Documents folder and all that..

But I did not change anything! I would think that a normal install on a know
OS would "Just Work"
It's not like I was compiling the source and changing stuff??

I have been looking for some kind of How-to or known problems but have not
yet found anything that tells me what is broken.

I did see two obscure references to usernames with a space and tiff problem
but I can't tell if the info was a current problem or a different problem.

Thanks for any info ..