Re: still no Xwin

Allen H. Nugent wrote:

> This is a repeat posting (I forgot to reset the 'Subject' last time, so

Why not just reply to the previous message. That way I can easily keep track of what
was already suggested and I don't have to search the mailbox for some messages from
Allen H. Nugent.

> maybe the message was overlooked).

I've been quite busy the last day and had no access to a cygwin host. I don't want to
tell you nonsense and like to check if my answers work before I send them out to users.

> I have been unable to use the
> application that depends on Xwin (and which I need to complete my thesis)
> for 2 weeks, now, so I am going to have to be a pest until it I can get
> Xwin to run.
>
> The last advice I received was:
>
> >Please start a bash shell and check if /usr/X11R6/bin is in the $PATH
> >variable. Also check if /usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll is existing
>
> The BASH command "echo $PATH" gives:
>
> "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/GRAPHICS/IMAGEMAGICK-5.5.7-Q8"
>
> However, the file "cygX11-6.dll" is not present.

Make _sure_ xorg-x11-bin-dlls package is installed. Reinstall that package. _Don't_
reinstall any xfree-* packages.

There exists the cygcheck command which can check if a package was installed and verify
if all files from that package are present. I don't know the command syntax to check
this but cygcheck --help should give you some hints.

Verify with cygcheck that
- xorg-x11-bin-dlls is installed
- all files from xorg-x11-bin-dlls are present and not modified

bye
    ago
NP: Allied Vision - Coaxial Hardware
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723