Re: Terminal emulator capable of emulating Sun terminals

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Chris Green wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:20:57AM +0200, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
> I suppose what I'm suggesting is that you run cygwin/X and use xdm to
> display your Sun desktop on your PC, then you can have Sun terminals
> as you want.

dtterm will display remotely - I don't recall if sun-cmd will (some of
those clients don't).

> For what it's worth I have used Solaris platforms for development for
> many years but I weaned myself off the Sun proprietory terminal
> emulators very early on.  I've standardised on rxvt (which is
> essentially an xterm without tektronix graphics) and find that there
> is very little I can't do with that.

more than that actually (both xterm and rxvt have features that the other
lacks - I'm biased of course, and find that the features that xterm has
that rxvt lacks are generally more useful than the corresponding set of
features in rxvt absent in xterm).

> What do you need sun-cmd or dtterm for?

it's probably what he's using right now.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net