From: "Alexander Gottwald"
<Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: XWin listens on too many TCP ports and
killing existing
connections.

Caphe Noir wrote:

> From: "Alexander Gottwald"
> <Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de>
> > I've created a small testprogram which calls
select with a timeout of
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/xfree/select.tar.gz
> > unpack and run it:
> > /select.exe www.google.com 80
> >
> > This will print lines with "timeout". Do you get a
new connection with
> > every timeout message?
>
> Sure does, a new listening connection at every
> timeout.

Are the connections sticky? I've just run it on my
cygwin installation and
the number of connections is fixed. There is a new
connection every second
but the old disappears before the new is created.

If you experience a different behaviour than it must
be a problem with
ZoneAlarm or an other program installed on your host.

> Is there any work-around for this select problem?

I'm directing the message to the cygwin list since
this problem also occurs
with a plain small cygwin program and is not bound to
Cygwin/X at all.

> BTW, thanks for providing the source code.

No problem. This was just small socket programming
praxis.

bye
    ago
NP: Lacrimosa - Alles Lüge