xwinclip on Win95 no longer works (switched from Gnome to KDE onlinux)

[I hope that there are some ideas for this that do not include upgrading the XFree86 stuff -- the last time I did such an upgrade it took a day and a half to get things running properly again.]

xwinclip will either not start, or will not stay started, or causes XFree session to lock up and/or crash the session and/or the PC. This has just started when we switch from Gnome to KDE for our Xwindowing.....

When the main script to start Xwin is run, Xwin starts fine and we can log into the linux host. However, after 30 seconds (and I have tried setting this longer) when the script to start xwinclip is run, xwinclip starts and then dies 95% of the time; if it does not die immediately, it will die a couple minutes later.

When we run a start xwinclip script, xwinclip tries to start and then it dies. On perhaps one out of fifteen attempts xwinclip will stay started, HOWEVER, if it does stay running the clipboard functions will work, BUT then after a very few minutes the Xwin stuff (i.e. the KDE linux session that is running) will start to slooooowww way down and freeze up. If I am quick enough and I can kill the xwinclip program, then the Xwin will not freeze -- it will recover. Otherwise, the Xwin will freeze totally -- and in two cases, completely and totally freeze the Win95 PC.

I have tried commenting out the start script for xwinclip and using the -clipboard option instead, but that did NOT enable the clipboard to work in either direction between Win95 and the linux applications.

=====

We have been happily using Cygwin/XFree86 since updating to what every XFree86 was *current on November 19, 2003* -- I still don't know how to tell you what version number of XFree86 stuff that is.

We use Windows 95 PCs (I know, I know) as workstations from which we log into a host server running RedHat 8. All our workstations seem to be equally affected by this problem.

Up to a couple days ago, we had been using GDM to login and Gnome for the RedHat desktop, but as the result "upgrading" some linux packages on the server so that we could install a package on the linux server, the Gnome stopped functioning. We had planned to go to KDE anyway, so we did it.

We are logging into a host server KDE 3.2.2 (most recent) desktop session via kdm. The host is running Red Hat 8.0 with all current updates available from Red Hat and/or Fedora Legacy (kernel 2.4.20-30.8, XFree86 4.2.1-23).
The host KDE has been upgraded to the most current version 3.2.2 available from KDE Red Hat project. The host is dual PIII 1G with 3G RAM and IBM/Mylex SCSI RAID.

Within the host sessions users run one or more (up to four) Mozilla browser/mail windows and several terminal/konsole windows (up to 15) running character apps such as Informix Perform screens, LEX word processing, VI editing, etc., etc. Occasional use is made of KDE file manager, OpenOffice, and the like.

The users need to be able to cut/paste between the linux host X apps (Mozilla Mail, xterm sessions, etc.) and Win95 apps (WordPerfect, NotePad, IE, etc.)

THIS IS THE STARTXDMCP.BAT SCRIPT ===============

@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET CYGWIN_ROOT=\cygwin
SET REMOTE_HOST=192.168.1.10
SET CYGWIN_ROOT=\cygwin

if not exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 goto CLEANUP-FINISH
echo cleanup required >> \startxwinJSA.log
attrib -s %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\ssh-*

:CLEANUP-FINISH
if exist %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix rmdir %CYGWIN_ROOT%\tmp\.X11-unix

if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" goto OS_NT

goto STARTUP

:OS_NT

:STARTUP

start XWin -once -nodecoration -query jsa.jaysmith.com

sleep 30
C:\windows\command\start /m xwinclip.exe

exit

====== END OF STARTDMCP SCRIPT

WE ALSO HAVE AN RESTART-XWINCLIP SCRIPT =====

@echo off