Performance problems on slow Win98 computers

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a win98 computer (about 200MHZ) as a full screen dumb terminal to a Linux computer running KDE, using XDMCP. Everything works, but I'm having severe latency problems with this setup.

When I switch to faster computers, the latency problem goes away. The problem seems to be with the cygwin/X load on the computer.

I have read somewhere that cygwin's X will use a shared memory driver if one is available. Could me not running the driver be the cause? Where can the driver be found (what cygwin package)? Or is it just that the computer is simply not fast enough to run our X server?

Another question has to do with shift processing. When I run xev, I can see that pressing the right shift causes a "LSHIFT" to be received. This is blocking certain applications that switch paragraph direction using a ctrl+lshift or ctrl+rshift combination. Is this a configuration problem on my end?

Shachar