Re: Problems running X-Windows under Windows XP

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Carlton Teel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We updated our Cygwin/X environment on a Windows XP workstation.  Only
> the Administrator can run the X-Windows now.  The users are in a
> restricted group that has been able to run X-Windows with no problems in
> the past.  The message that is displayed to the user whether they are
> running startxdmcp or startxwin is:
>
>         A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will now exit.
>         Please open /tmp/XWin.log for more information.

The users most likely don't have write permission to /tmp/XWin. Please
check this. Please start XWin from a bash shell with exactly this commandline

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -query 192.168.0.19 -nodecoration -lesspointer

It should now print everything which is normally sent to /tmp/XWin.log to the
console window too. What is printed last before the dialog appears?

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de