Re: How to use ddd with XWindows?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> I apologize if I had already posted this question. However, I did not
> see my own posting and I assume it never made it to the mailing list.
>
> I see from the posting below that you are using startx. Hmmmm... I think
> that is the command I use on Linux. I tried it on Win2003 server running
> cygwin and there is no such command.

Did you install the X-startup-scripts package?  Do you have /usr/X11R6/bin
in your PATH?

> I'm using the command XWin.exe & and I'm trying to run the ddd debugger.
> XWindows seems to start OK. I can run X utilities like the XClock.
>
> However, when I try to start "ddd main_assert.exe" I get the "Error: Can't
> open display:".

You did try "export DISPLAY=:0.0; ddd main_assert.exe", right?  Or even
"DISPLAY=:0.0 ddd main_assert.exe"?

> display and then I was chastised for carrying on off topic.

Actually, the other way around (first the "off-topic" part, then "set the
DISPLAY"), and you weren't chastised, just informed.  The message got
redirected to this list, too. :-)

It also said "set the DISPLAY" (note the capitals).  What it meant was
"set the DISPLAY environment variable to the correct value".  Above are a
couple of ways that could be done.

> Can someone help me run ddd? Currently, ddd is my only motivation for
> running XWindows. I was told I needed to start the XWindows server before I
> could run ddd.

"XWin&" should do it, but "startx" will also include some standard
command-line options and start an xterm.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu