Re: X startup hangs

electa wrote:
ZoneAlarm is known to change the behaviour of Windows
TCP/IP stack and this seems to cause troubles with cygwin since cygwin

must provide unix

like semantics and has problems if something does not work it was

expected.

But I tried shutting down Zonealarm--> X still hangs. Do you think it ss really a ZoneAlarm problem?

ZoneAlarm replaces the TCP stack with it's own. You cannot fully shut it down until after uninstalling it and rebooting.

The most recent version of ZA broke every POP/SMTP mailer on my system. Shutting it down, removing it from start up and rebooting did nothing to change that. Uninstalling it magically fixed everything, and several other problems I hadn't attributed to ZoneAlarm as well.