Re: installing a window manager - help please

It's probably best to address things one at a time.

Immediately after you do the install (i.e. before you make changes), what happens when you double-click startxwin.bat?

Ian.McIntosh@dli.wa.gov.au wrote:

Hi,

I'm feeling pretty frustrated and stupid at the moment, because after 3
days of installing/reinstalling cygwin, trying to install various window
managers like fvwm, and trying the various configurations and start methods
of same, I can't get so much as a basic window manager started with the
ability to open a new xterm.

Some configurations give me the seemingly infamous "can't open
display:localhost:0.0"  (I've tried 127.0.0.1 also), whilst some will
complain that there's another window manager running (I can't find anything
in the task manager that would be another wm).

I'm going a bit crazy here as there doesn't seem to be any step-by-step
setup instructions (for cygwin AND a window manager) anywhere on the net
that I can find.  If this is wrong, please correct me.  I've obviously read
things like (http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-window-managers.html) which
give the basic theory, i.e. you can't run more than one wm etc, but there
doesn't seem to be anything explaining how to get a basic setup working
BEFORE doing anything fancy with configurations.

Alternatively, if there's somewhere that someone has a complete install
zipped up that I could potentially grab and just run it, that'd be great.

I realise this is all open-source software and I'm not moaning about
anything other than my own lack of ability to get this working.

Any help is appreciated.
cheers,
Ian