Re: installing a window manager - help please

>> I can't get so much as a basic window manager started
>> with the ability to open a new xterm.

Assuming you have a full install, or at least sufficient to run XWin, is
this any good at least to get you going? Sorry if this is the one thing you
can do ... in which case sorry for wasting your time.

1. Start with bash --login -i

2. At the bash prompt check your PATH. It should look something like this:

~> echo $PATH
/home/yourname/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

3. If so you can usefully reduce the length of the following two lines, but
full pathnames are included if you need them (or want to see them):

/usr/X11R6/bin/run /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -nolisten local -multiwindow

/bin/xterm -display localhost:0.0

The -nolisten local switch is something I have found to work if your machine
is not permanently connected online. (For some reason I don't understand and
which may even be good, Xwin constantly listens to network connections and
throws a fit if it can't hear anything.)

4. Once you've got Xwin up and running you can jump in and out of xterm and
back to bash as you please. You don't have to start Xwin a 2nd time (in fact
it objects if you do). If you prefer to, you can set DISPLAY in your
environment and not have to type -display ... each time.

5. If after this you make more progress with fvwm please let me know as I
can't get anywhere either.

Fergus